Chiropractic Care & Pregnancy
Seeking the best options of treatment and help during pregnancy is important. Believe it or not, chiropractic care is actually helpful during pregnancy. Chiropractors that have been trained to work with pregnant women will use different methods to avoid unnecessary pressure in their abdomen, such as using tables that adjust for a pregnant woman’s body. Chiropractors will also recommend stretches and exercises that are safe to do during pregnancy.
When the baby is growing inside a woman’s body and the woman is gaining weight, it can lead to some discomfort to the body. A pregnant woman’s body will also produce hormones to relax ligaments, which help the baby’s head fit through the pelvis when the time comes. These hormones can cause a negative effect to the spine, since they are being combined with a swollen belly, which can make a women loose-limbed, sway-backed, and unusually clumsy. Chiropractic care is needed to restore normal and healthy function to the central nervous system.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Chiropractic care is beneficial during pregnancy for these reasons.
- Helps maintain a healthier pregnancy. Sitting around all day can sometimes have a negative impact in one’s body, specifically in the spine.
- Improves pelvic function and fetal position with the goal of having an easier delivery.
- It is safe and natural, not a drug.
- Reduces headaches, symptoms of nausea and helps you sleep better.
- Relieves back, neck or joint pain.
- Prevents the possibility of a potential cesarean delivery.
Chiropractic Care After Pregnancy
Once the baby is born, a check-up is recommended to ensure the baby’s spine is in alignment and everything is developing correctly. Newborn’s can sometimes have some spinal issues due to the trauma that can be derived from passing through the birth canal, and it should be a priority to be taken care of as soon as possible.