Tips For Proper Lifting From AV Chiropractic
Back pain is commonly caused by a sudden injury to the ligaments and muscles that support the back. These sudden injuries can be caused by improper lifting of heavy objects.
Like joining a weight class or practicing a sport or activity, there are always steps and techniques to take to prevent injuries. With that being said, it is important to keep these tips for proper lifting in mind to prevent any future injuries.
- Do not twist while carrying an object. Instead step into turns you have to make.
- Assess the object for any tears or things that may be falling apart. Keeping in mind the prevention of having to make unexpected twists while carrying.
- It is better to push an object rather than pull and if possible use your legs instead of your back.
- Test the weight of the object by giving it a shove. If it is too heavy, then it’s better to get help.
- Before lifting a heavy object, bend your knees, squat or place on knee on the ground and lift up very slowly using your leg muscles more than your backs.
- Make sure the route to your destination while carrying the object is clear of obstructions.
- Do take breaks.
These are all great tips for lifting heavy objects properly. After all, an unexpected injury like one from lifting is never expected, so using these tips serve great as a precaution.
If your back is already injured from improper lifting, here are some tips to treat it.
- Gentle exercise
- Therapeutic massage
- Alternating between ice and heat packs